First time poster to this forum and really hoping someone can help me out with a problem.
My wife and I purchased a brand new 2017 Equinox back in January. Shortly after we took delivery of it, we began noticing a strong smell of gas (e.g. fuel) on occasion coming from the vehicle. On all occurrences, the vehicle has been in the garage over night and has occurred when we started it to warm up. We live in Minnesota, so it's been relatively cold. This problem does not happen all of the time.
Summary of occurrences:
1. Vehicle has been in the garage overnight each time
2. Start vehicle to warm up while still in the garage. Garage door is open
3. Come out to garage and there is a very strong smell of gas
4. Have never noticed any sign of a fuel leak...no residue on the floor of the garage
5. The first time this happened, we had filled the tank the night before. We let the pump shut off by itself as to not over fill
6. The next 3 occurrences occurred when the tank was 50% or less full
7. During the last occurrence, I smelled the exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipe in the rear of the vehicle and smelled gas (e.g. fuel)...this is the possible location. Did not check the exhaust on the previous occurrences
8. The gas smell is not noticeable inside the vehicle with the doors shut...doesn't appear to come through the ventilation system
We've had the vehicle into the dealership twice now for an extended duration and they haven't been able to find the source of the problem. The first time in, the mechanic smelled the gas when he started it to pull it into the garage but the problem went away while they had it and they couldn't find the source. The second time in, they could reproduce the problem after having it for 4-5 days. They simply instructed us to bring it back in the next time it happens...however, I'm not confident at all that they will find the source unless it's actually occurring at the dealership.
As you can imagine, we're extremely frustrated as the vehicle now has just over 1000 miles on it. We love the vehicle...just not this issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.