SRXForum.net Bookmark and Share
July 25, 2014, 08:05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to TerrainForum, EquinoxForum & SRXForum! We're glad you found us!

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECO Button  (Read 27882 times)
jackiek

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:15:25 PM »

How many are using the ECO button, and when do you excatly use it. I have been doing a lot of local driving, never over 45 mph, Should I have it turned on?

2012 1LT Equinox
Purchased 1/25/12
Remote Start
8 position power driver seat
Gold Mist Metallic
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:17:27 PM »

How many are using the ECO button, and when do you excatly use it. I have been doing a lot of local driving, never over 45 mph, Should I have it turned on?
CHECK YOUR RPMS AT IDLE with it on and with it off youll notice lower rpms with it on  lower rpms less gas

wkeatonjr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »

I use mine almost all the time.

--
2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2, I4,FWD, Onyx Black, Convience Package, Chrome Package, Cargo Package
Mr. Plow

From the Garlic Capital of the World.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »

Leave mine on all the time too.   Like said previously, idle RPM's are lower.  Also throttle response is somewhat slower.  Not dangerous slow, just slower on the get-up-and-go.   I'm mostly driving in the city with California's untimed traffic lights.  So it's go from one red light to the next for me.

2011 Equinox - LTZ, 2.4L, Twilight Blue, Black/Titanium, FWD, XM Contract, OnStar Contract, 18" Wheels, Delivered 4/30/11
2008 Acadia - SLT2, 3.6L, Deep Blue, Titanium, AWD, HID, HUD, Nav, XM Contract, OnStar Contract, Tow, Dual SkyScape, 7 Pax Seating, 19" Tires, May 8th Flash, Delivered 1/12/08
Don7019

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:06:04 AM »

I now use it all the time.  For the first 6 months of having the car I did not engage it - wasn't sure what it was.  Then started using it.  My MPG has risen by 2 + since using it.
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

Never use it in town.  Only when going down the highway on a trip.  It's really the only place it makes a noticeable difference in mpg anyway.

2011 Equinox 2LT FWD 2.4L
Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »

The salesman said use around town.  I just leave it in Eco mode.  No problems with gas mileage but best mostly highway has been 29.5 with 4 people in the vehicle, luggage and cold temps.  When I see gas mileage and at fill ups I reset the average speed.  I never realized who low my average speeds were.
wkeatonjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »

Never use it in town.  Only when going down the highway on a trip.  It's really the only place it makes a noticeable difference in mpg anyway.

You idle a lot in city driving (think stop lights) and ECO mode keeps your idle RPM's lower than without it so it is effective in city driving as well.

--
2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2, I4,FWD, Onyx Black, Convience Package, Chrome Package, Cargo Package
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 02:41:56 PM »

You idle a lot in city driving (think stop lights) and ECO mode keeps your idle RPM's lower than without it so it is effective in city driving as well.

I disagree.  Especially with the idle part.  It's a negligible difference in idle rpm.

Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
RNOX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »

From an article:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/06/chevrolet-equinox.html

Eco mode locks up the Equinox’s torque converter at lower speeds — most automatics do this at highway speeds — and changes shift patterns in the four-cylinder’s six-speed auto. It cuts the engine’s speed at idle, too, but it doesn’t affect the accelerator pedal. The net effect? About 1 mpg more with it on, Smith said.

“It could have a broader range,” he said. “We could get a lot more out of it than we did … but drivability has to be within certain acceptable limits.”

What are the compromises? For starters, in Eco mode the engine may start lugging at 40 or 50 mph, Smith said, like a manual transmission that’s shifted too early into its topmost gear. At idle speed, the engine can come off a bit coarse-sounding.
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:32:31 PM »

I disagree.  Especially with the idle part.  It's a negligible difference in idle rpm.
Hey, 100 rpm difference saves gas...

tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »

At what expense if it's lugging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
fourmoremarine
Theta Freak

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »

At what expense if it's lugging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
worried about lugging?? reach down and turn it off
sent from my 6 year old e-mach with dial up  no need to impress anyone

Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »

My experience is just the opposite.  With it off around town you can feel and hear the engine reving higher RPM and not uspshifting to a highe gear.   Turn on ECO and it shifts sooner and the RPM drop significantly at say 35 mph.
wkeatonjr

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »

My experience is just the opposite.  With it off around town you can feel and hear the engine reving higher RPM and not uspshifting to a highe gear.   Turn on ECO and it shifts sooner and the RPM drop significantly at say 35 mph.

This has also been my experience

--
tsduke

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »

I'll agree it might shift up in some case, but turn off you radio and listen and feel how the engine is performing in that higher gear.  The engine is lugging and no mpg improvement is going to make that worth it to me.  Just google effects of lugging on an engine.  These DI engines are already showing to be prone to carbon build up this will only accelerate it.

I've had 2 Equinox's and the first I drove with ECO almost all the time.  The second almost never.  I'm actually averaging better mpg with our current Nox.

Black Granite Metallic
Build Date 6/21/2011
Rick Tinley Park

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »

Yes I usually do not use ECO in and around town-driving. It may be slightly less MPG -- but drives nicer. On highway -- definitely better mpg. Also -- I drive with CC whenever I can. The mileage jumps dramatically. With ECO on -- on inclines and suburban highways - I can not duplicate the mileage I get with ECO using my foot. I do click off approaching a light -- but I can not get over a hill using less gas than my car in Cruise and ECO.

2011 Cardinal Red 2LT
Power Moon Roof
Chrome Package
Leather
Terrain2011

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »

I'll agree it might shift up in some case, but turn off you radio and listen and feel how the engine is performing in that higher gear.  The engine is lugging and no mpg improvement is going to make that worth it to me.  Just google effects of lugging on an engine.

Radio is usually off, as I like to be aware of my surroundings, and no lugging, just lower RPM.    Lugging usually happens around 45 mph, which I just give it some more throttle.
EGF3

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

I used the ECO for the first 7k then turned it off until 11k. I went from averaging 22mpg mixed to 24mpg with ECO off. All in all it's just a gimmick.
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »

I used the ECO for the first 7k then turned it off until 11k. I went from averaging 22mpg mixed to 24mpg with ECO off. All in all it's just a gimmick.

Or, you're driving habits changed, or it was different weather outside, or you went from Winter gas to Summer-blend gas, or the engine is now broken in.

Many variables involved besides just the Eco button ! 

GM has done the analysis and says that the Eco button is worth 1 MPG.  I am assuming that they have done it as a controlled experiment.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: