SRXForum.net Bookmark and Share
December 21, 2014, 02:57:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Download our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Poll
Question: What is the One thing that really irks you about your Terrain?
No Dual-Zone A/C - 27 (20.1%)
No Power Up Windows - 11 (8.2%)
Bad Turning Radius - 11 (8.2%)
No Power Passanger Seat - 16 (11.9%)
No Rear Window Latch - 5 (3.7%)
Siri's limited use w/ the Bluetooth - 0 (0%)
No Denali Package - 0 (0%)
I'll post my qualm in the replys - 8 (6%)
MPG - 12 (9%)
No 'True Fold Down Rear Seats' - 25 (18.7%)
100% Happy - 19 (14.2%)
Total Voters: 134

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's Get Nit-Picky  (Read 25391 times)
river and sand

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »

Well mine isn't a Terrain but I am sure is the same as the Nox in this area. The rear hatch lock loop sticks up about 1/4 inch above the rear deck fascia (unbeknown to me at the time), while loading a new to me fridge in the back put a perfectly formed groove down the side of it. flaming mad

2012 Equinox 3.0 1LT FWD
Mocha Steel / Jet Black
2005 Silverado K3500 Duramax/Ali DRW
2000 S-10 2.2 Flex
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:56 PM »

Well mine isn't a Terrain but I am sure is the same as the Nox in this area. The rear hatch lock loop sticks up about 1/4 inch above the rear deck fascia (unbeknown to me at the time), while loading a new to me fridge in the back put a perfectly formed groove down the side of it. flaming mad

Good warning for other people.  Sorry that you had to "pay" for us to learn. 

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
river and sand

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »

I would have been really pissed if it was brand new. On the bright side a 18 cu.ft. fridge will fit in a Nox but the rear hatch won't close all the way. 

2012 Equinox 3.0 1LT FWD
Mocha Steel / Jet Black
2005 Silverado K3500 Duramax/Ali DRW
2000 S-10 2.2 Flex
Colee03

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »

Rear ac....I know it's a small SUV but my son is still in a rear facing seat and he sweats in the summer Sad turning radius does suck. Besides that I'm very happy with my 13 Denali Smiley

2013 Terrain Denali Summit White
rbarrios
Theta Guru

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 09:35:21 AM »

Rear ac....I know it's a small SUV but my son is still in a rear facing seat and he sweats in the summer Sad turning radius does suck. Besides that I'm very happy with my 13 Denali Smiley

Agreed- especially when theyre buckled up and seat belts keep their movement to a minimum.
you pull up to your destination- and get them out--- woah--- why your back all wet little one?
Well theyve been sweating the whole way...

2013 Equinox  LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -   27,000
2010 Traverse LT1 3.6L V6 FWD -  84,000
2003 Trailblazer LS  4.2L I6 RWD- 173,000
tinman080

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2014, 05:31:27 AM »

my 2cents....

* 5x120 bolt pattern and TPMS sensors [/u]
Aftermarket wheel selection is pretty slim
Having to deal with TPMS is stupid and more of a nuisance than it is helpful.
COMPLAIN TO THE FEDS ABOUT TPMS. AFTERMARKET WHEEL AVAILABILITY IS BASED ON PROJECTED VOLUME SALES, NOT BOLT PATTERN SIZE.
* Despite the aggresive stance on the Terrain, it's a small SUV[/u]
I parked beside a Nissan Rogue - and the Rogue was bigger
I PARKED MINE NEXT TO A SUBURBAN, AND THE SUBURBAN WAS BIGGER. AND I GUARANTEE THE ROGUE WAS UGLIER! LOL
* Non-Tinted front windows[/u]
I understand its for legal and safety issues - but that's just dumb
WHAT IS DUMB ABOUT A SAFETY ISSUE? PLUS MANY OF US OWNERS DON'T WANT TO DRIVE AROUND IN SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A PIMPMOBILE.
* The "Universal" User's manual[/u]
It urks me how the manual mentions "some vehicles may be equipped".  I get all excited, only to find My SLE2 doesnt have it.
Perhaps GMC would consider including a manual specific to the trim and options model as they roll off the assembly line
MILLIONS OF VEHICLE BUILT PER YEAR AND EACH ONE WITH A SPECIFIC MANUAL? I DON'T THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN.

2012 SLT 4 fwd last 12 on lot
Colt Hero

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »

Seen this thread pop up several times, so decided to comment:

1.) MPGs:  My major complaint (Agree with Mochaman and wrusprod).  Not that it's *horrible*, or is out of line with what the sticker said it would be.  My complaint is that it is *below average* for the functionality the vehicle provides!  If, without seeing the vehicle, you tell me "I've got a 4-seater, liftgate vehicle for you to look at", I'm thinking 22/29-ish fuel economy (minimum).   But because this thing is an overweight tank, the sticker is an embarrassing 17/24 (unless you want to risk a rear-end collision and a car fire).

2.) Visibility:

This wasn't mentioned in the poll but it's actually a very big deal with these things.  I can't imagine another vehicle out there with worse visibility than the current gen Equinox (2010 onward).  Sure, those mammoth pillars will come in handy when you roll the vehicle over (maybe once in a lifetime if you're terribly unlucky), but in the meantime (which is *everyday*), don't forget to wait for people, cars, and even trucks to emerge from behind these pillars or you may find yourself upside down testing the strength of those pillars. 

My brother buys GM vehicles too, and wanted to buy an Equinox in the 2010/2011 timeframe, but his wife lost an eye 15+ years ago when Chicago hospitals could not destroy a terrible infection.  She got into the Equinox and immediately eliminated it as a candidate.  It's like driving in Confined Space.

==========
As for the other things:

1.) Seats not folding flat is ridiculous, but only rises to the level of 'disappointment' with me.  Maybe GM could shed some light on why they 'failed' here. 

2.) Rear A/C should *really* be included.  Airflow from the front is either weaker than it needs to be, cannot be directed the way it needs to be, or the seats (and their massive headrests) just block too much of the air flow.

3.) Doors closing on their own: Yeah, it's annoying, but that's all.

4.) TPMS sensor thing is pathetic!  I mean - why have a system like that if it's immediately useless or misleading as soon as you rotate the tires?  The owner should  be able to easily re-program the tire locations via the LCD displays.  Poor execution on GM's part.

My 'Nox is driven by the wife 90% of the time.  Pretty much the only time I drive it is when we take a trip.  I *will* say that it performs well on the long trips (although I immediately notice, right from take-off, the relatively harder ride it gives compared to any other vehicles I'm driving now, and *have* driven over the years on these same trips.  Seats contribute to some of that too, causing some lower back discomfort, but not enough to make me stop).

2011 Equinox 1LT (new Jan 2011)
Summit White / 3.0 L V6
18" Wheels / Pioneer Stereo
67,000 Miles (10/1/14)

"Colt Hero" is a car, not a gun
Skiziks

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 07:05:07 PM »

This wasn't mentioned in the poll but it's actually a very big deal with these things.  I can't imagine another vehicle out there with worse visibility than the current gen Equinox (2010 onward).  Sure, those mammoth pillars will come in handy when you roll the vehicle over (maybe once in a lifetime if you're terribly unlucky), but in the meantime (which is *everyday*), don't forget to wait for people, cars, and even trucks to emerge from behind these pillars or you may find yourself upside down testing the strength of those pillars. 

Oh yes, I can't agree with you more about how obstructive the pillars are. The driver's side pillar isn't as bad to see around as the passenger side, but they're both horrible and dangerous in my opinion.
We've made it accident free now for 11 months but only because of warnings from the passenger.

2013 Equinox 2LT, 2.4 AWD Ashen Gray Metallic
Hudson, Wisconsin
Chas

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 11:17:20 PM »

Hmm, I'll entertain with a reply...

1)  "an embarrassing 17/24" for a "4-seater, liftgate vehicle" = I assume you're talking about the V6? The 'Nox/Terrain have a higher ride, more head room, more rear leg room than a hatchback if that's what you're comparing to? Along with more than 300 horses? Frankly, my Terrain dimensions are very similar to a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee -BUT- the Jeep with its V8 has less than 250 hp and worse gas mileage. There's always compromise: fuel efficiency vs power; power vs torque; technology vs price; etc. Otherwise isn't the 4-cylinder rated for "22/29-ish" mpg? For this rant to be credible, at least point out another crossover of similar dimensions with the "22/29-ish" mpg, 300+ hp, within the similar price range.

2)  Keep in mind those wide pillars have airbags in them now. They're not only for roll over protection. There are earlier posts showing totaled 'Nox but the occupants were not severely harmed. At least for me - I like how the A-pillars are designed in a rather rectangular cross section shape. So when I move my head to the left a bit, the blind spot shrinks significantly more than a squarish A-pillar of other cars. I wonder - what other cars have you seen have much smaller A-pillars with airbags? The rear pillars also have airbags. Also the side mirrors have the nifty blind-spot insets. Properly adjusted, they've eliminated a lot of the blind spots to my sides. Though it still feels like it takes some driving experience to adjust to. Upper level trims have the blind spot detection technology (I couldn't justify the price compromise).

I do agree with:
1) Why the hell weren't the rear seats designed to fold flat? Terrible.
end) The ride's a bit rough. Well, compromise on rough ride vs handling and ride vs price. Handling is pretty good for a heavy crossover at its price. Can't expect a $30k vehicle to be equipped with Autoride. Though I'd prefer a softer ride at the expense of handling, oh well. And seats are stiff. But seats can be swapped out for something soft if it drives you crazy. Or even try strapping on a massager, ha.

But:
2) Rear A/C? Again price vs technology. Designing rear A/C & heat vents cost much more. I imagine GM feels they offer this in the Traverse/Acadia. I've seen for 4-cylinder models if the "Eco" mode was enabled, then the A/C fan power would be limited? So on hot days, perhaps turn off the "Eco" mode? At least for me in 100 F days and 4 men in the Terrain, the cabin was comfortably cool for a 6-hour drive. (Should go without saying: be sure your A/C system is in proper working condition.) If you really need much more circulation in the rear, go with a Traverse/Acadia or another manufacturer's bigger crossover?
3) Doors closing on their own? I'm not seeing this? And if this was true, I can imagine this would require a recall as it could be a safety hazard to children??
4) The problem with TPMS re-learning tire location is not entering the "learning" mode (as you're suggesting with using the LCD display). It's how would the system recognize where each tire is after rotation? Hence the requirement for a special tool to indicate which tire is where. I suppose a program could be created to allow the driver to enter where each tire moved to, but after one wrong series of inputs, this will quickly get confusing. Confusing = complaints. Best to keep it simple and use the tool to indicate each sensor location. What I'd like to see - two receivers located at different corners of the vehicle. So when entering "learning" mode, the receivers would triangulate where each transmitter is. Again, the tech vs price compromise. Since people are often penny-pinching at the dealer's lot without thinking of costs down the road, it's better for GM to keep the system cheaper with only one transmitter. Leave the owner stuck with paying for the learning tool or going to the dealer later. (And not to mention, the triangulating transmitters/receivers would probably have to be a different type -meaning more expensive- which can gauge transmitter distance.) Maybe someday... maybe on a Caddy.
A cheap alternative - leave a tire pressure gauge in the center console. Rotate tires as needed, but don't update the TPMS. When the TPMS warns of a low tire pressure, get out with the gauge and measure each tire to find which one to inflate. The TPMS still serves its purpose in notifying you of a low tire.

Of course the 'Nox/Terrain seems expensive at $30k, but remember, the minimum wage could be as high as $10 for a guy serving coffee at Dunkin' Donuts. $30k isn't as much as it was 10 years ago, and the powertrain and cabin safety has gotten much more expensive.

2013 GMC Terrain SLT-1, FWD, 3.6 V6 (LFX), Sunroof
franmorr1966

Second Terrain--2014--Silver Sky Blue--SLE 1

ffm519

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »

Aren't all of the features you speak of (other than the turn radius) available in high end models?  So I couldn't chose any of those as what irks me the most of the don't haves because if I could afford the high end model, I'd have it all EXCEPT the horrendous turn radius. :-)

2011 GMC Terrain SLE, AWD, 4 cylinder, Cyber Gray, Installed Power Sunroof
2014 GMC  Terrain SLE 1, AWD--(Shoutout to Cerrone GMC, S. Attleboro, MA)
Rit
Theta GOD!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »

Aren't all of the features you speak of (other than the turn radius) available in high end models?

Nope - i.e. fold-flat seats, opening rear hatch window, etc. are not available in any model.  But, yes, many of the others are.

2010 Equinox LTZ
4 cyl, FWD, S/R
Cardinal Red/Black
Default User

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »

No aftermarket love Sad

Thanks
- Eric

Croxley611

Email

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:06 PM »

No keyless ignition, I had this in my mazda and I didn't know how great it was until I got the terrain, I can't believe it's not an option on the denali!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: